PTO Meetings

  • Regular PTO meetings are usually held the third Thursday of each month in school library at 6:30 p.m. All parents/guardians of ELCO IS students are invited and encouraged to attend.  It is our goal to have meetings last around an hour of less each month.

     Meeting Dates For The 2018-2019 School Year

    Thursday, August 23rd at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, September 20th at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, October 18th at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, November 15th at 6:30 p.m.


    Thursday, January 17th at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, February 21st at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, March 21st at 6:30 p.m.

    Thursday, April 11th at 6:30 p.m. *adjusted due to Easter holiday

    Wednesday, May 15th at 6:30 p.m. *adjusted due to conflict


    If you can not attend, check this web page for upcoming events and volunteer opportunities.  Other good sources of information can also be found by liking the ELCO Intermediate School Parent Teacher Organization

     Facebook page at

     And following the ELCO Intermediate School Parent Teacher Organization on Twitter at @ELCO_IS_PTO



    August 23, 2018 |6:30pm

    | Meeting location Intermediate School LibraryAttendees:

    Rachel Smith, Natalie Yeagley, Alison Wenger, Kelly Blakeslee, Nicole Snyder, Lindsay Layser, Angie Holmes, Nicole Readinger, Tracey Hayes, Amber Fry, Jen Rhodes, Val Musser, Lindsey Hibshman, Jessica Wenger, Alison Funk, Mike Turner, Lora Halpin


    Meeting called to order by:

    Type of meeting School Staff Members


    Alison Wenger

    Monthly Meeting
    Mr. Gerhart, Mrs. Zeigler


    Agenda topic Minutes from last month’s meeting | Presenter Alison Wenger
    Motion to accept meeting minutes: Rachel Smith Seconded: Lindsay Layser Motion Carried

    Agenda topic Treasurer’s Report | Presenter Rachel Smith
    Discussion: Review of last year’s expenses and presentation of 2018-19 tentative budget.
    Motion to approve budget: Lora Halpin Seconded: Natalie Yeagley Motion Carried

    Agenda topic New Business | Presenter Alison WengerDiscussion:

    Election of Co-Treasurer: Rachel Smith, unanimous.
    Election of Secretary: Nicole Snyder, unanimous.
    Family Movie Night Outside vs. Inside – this idea has been tabled due to concerns about cost and weather. Volunteer/fundraising opportunities at Hershey, Ali will submit paperwork, more details to follow.
    Updated bylaws to be sent via email, amendments will be accepted at September meeting and voted on in October. Yearbook supplement voted for 8-page supplement with fifth grade messages to off-set cost.
    Recorders: PTO will cover the cost of these for all third grade students.
    Third grade field trip t-shirts: PTO will again provide. Rachel Smith will coordinate orders.

    Agenda topic Teachers Report | Presenter: Mrs. ZieglerDiscussion: See Principals Report
    Teachers felt that the division of grades for back to school nights was successful.




    Agenda topic: Principals Report | Presenter: Mr. Gerhart
    Discussion: Many new positions have opened up and have been filled after many interviews this summer. Student count currently is 590. 196 3rd grade students, 196 4th grade students, 187 5th grade students.

    Agenda topic: Committee Reports | Presenter: Alison WengerAssemblies: Chairperson – Alison Funk

    • No update, will coordinate with teachers around One School One Book theme. Book Fair: Chairperson – Vacant

    • Book fair scheduled for Nov 15-20. Shopping available during conferences 19-20. Box Tops: Chairperson – Vicki Simpson

    • First collection deadline October 17. Approved $180 for gift card incentives for students, three from each grade for fall and spring contests.

    End of the Year Fair: Chairperson – Nicole Readinger• Date TBA

    Friends Helping Friends: Chairperson – Samantha Nye• Program to begin in late October.

    Hospitality: Chairpersons Kate Weaver and Amanda Zwally
    • No update, date to be determined for teacher meal during conferences.

    Gingerbread Shoppe: Vacant• Dates Dec 3-7.

    Family Photo Night Fundraiser: Chairperson Stacey Mays• No update, date to be determined.

    Raider Run: Chairpersons Kelly Newswanger, Evie Trostle, Brooke Coatsworth. Lora Halpin day of event coordinator.

    • October 18 with a rain date October 19

    • Discussion of changes including push toward online donations. No mailing of letters. Forms to be sent

      home with students in late September.

    • Prize discussion for student incentives as well as whole school rewards, highest class in each grade, etc.

      Father/Daughter & Mother/Son: Chairpersons Bambi Tanger & Samantha Nye

    • Save the dates: Mother/Son March 9 and Father/Daughter March 30


    No official meeting in December, tentative holiday gathering.
    Next meeting Thursday, September 20 at 6:30pm in the Intermediate School Library Meeting adjourned at 7:47pm