Safe2Say Something is a youth violence prevention program, run by the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General, that is designed to reach youth and adults how to recognize the warning signs and signals from individuals who may be a threat to themselves or others and to “say something” before it is too late.
The Pennsylvania General Assembly passed Act 44 in 2018, which mandates the utilization of Safe2Say Something by every school district in Pennsylvania as well as the training of school personnel and students in grades 6 through 12.
Students at ELCO Middle and High School receive training at the beginning of each school year. While students are always encouraged to reach out to a trusted adult at school if they have concerns about another student, Safe2Say Something provides an additional way that these concerns can be reported.
THREE WAYS TO SUBMIT AN ANONYMOUS TIP:
Call the tipline: 1-844-SAF2SAY (1-844-723-2729)
Use the website: https://www.safe2saypa.org
Use the mobile app available in iOS and Android stores
HOW IT WORKS:
- An anonymous tip is submitted via the mobile app, website or phone call to the Safe2Say Something Crisis Center.
- Crisis Center analysts vet and triage the tip, then engage the tipster in an anonymous two-way chat in order to provide detailed and immediately actionable information to schools and dispatch.
- Crisis Center analysts deliver the tip to the impacted school and, as needed, to local law enforcement via 911 County Dispatch.
- The school and, as needed, local law enforcement, assess and intervene with the at-risk individual.
- The school then closes out the tip and reports action taken as a record for their school.
- ELCO School District encourages students and parents/guardians to immediately report any issues of concern to District personnel when someone sees or hears something that would pose a threat to others or the school. This direct reporting is a key piece in promoting and maintaining a safe school environment.
Answers to frequently asked questions can be found on the Safe2SaySomething website. Additionally, please feel free to reach out to ELCO’s Safe2Say Something lead, Amy Shoemaker, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-866-7117.